Wednesday 29 August 2012

The story of one little black dog, the one who changed so much...



Just about 10 years ago, I was 7 years old. I was with my Great Grandma and Grandma as we went to pick out their puppy. I knew I'd be spending just as much time with this new dog as they would, as I would always sleepover there and take visits down to their house all the time. We walked into the house where the puppies were. One of the parents was a purebred Shih Tzu, and the other was a purebred Miniature Pinscher. I believe it was an oops litter, as I have no idea why someone would breed those two breeds together haha, but it was a perfect oops litter <3. 

There were a bunch of pups. All of them were males, light brown and seemed to have wirey short coats, except for one....
This one was a dark shiny black, with longer hair and was a female. They called her little Lady.

We all knew instantly that this was the pick, hands down. We took her home to my Grandma and Great Grandma's house. She was the most perfect oops litter free puppy that you could ever pick up. 

We soon realized that Lady was not going to be appropriate as a name! Right from the beginning she'd follow everyone around like a shadow, and wouldn't leave until you did and there we got it; Shadow. I have never known a dog to suit it's name so well, even though it's so simple. Right from the get go. 

As time went by, I grew a bond with this pup. I grew one very strong. She'd listen to me, she'd follow me, she loved me. I loved her just as well. She was perfect. I wasn't allowed my own dog quite yet, and  Shadow was the closest I got for almost 7 years so she felt a whole lot like my own. 

My Great Grandma passed away a year or so ago and I'm sure this hurt Shadow a whole lot, considering she was mostly my Great Grandmas dog. She followed her everywhere, she was her little Shadow <3. Just recently, Shadow has been having a few problems, anywhere from arthritis to going partially blind or deaf to losing all of her teeth. It was time and just within the past few days my Grandma made the decision and had to get Shadow put down to stop her suffering. I wish I could have said good-bye.

I will never forget this little dog and all of the lessons she ever taught me. Run free little Shadow, run free throughout the rainbow bridge and jump into Great Grandmas lap again and kiss her and stay with her forever now.
I love you, you little black dog <3



~July 17th 2002 - August 2012~


No comments:

Post a Comment